Sunday, January 22, 2012

change it up

We've been in our house for almost six years...yikes. During that time we've made small changes, but most none would notice. This weekend I had the grand idea of changing things up a bit around the house. Furniture has been moved, pictures have been hung, pictures have traded places on the walls, and I really like all of the changes! For someone that is afraid to throw paint on the wall because I can't commit to a color - all of the moves are a big deal :)

Our office has been my "baby" of home projects. A few months back while blog-browsing I came across a subtle striped wall (perfect for color phobic Meg). My biggest fear about tackling the painted stripes was that our walls are textured. All fears were put to rest when I tried out Frog Tape, that stuff is AMAZING! The wall turned out just how I wanted it to, and then the furniture buying started. What I underestimated was how much storage space I really needed in the office. So, yesterday, I started walking around the house and came across a bookshelf (from my college days) that was being under-utilized and moved it in.

Office Stripes

New properly utilized bookshelf

Next project was the picture wall in the dining area. We had a small assortment of frames that were starting to bore me. I bought a new set of frames and filled them with sentimental images, that part of the project was done. Then I sat down with a tape measure, calculator, paper, computer, pens, pencils, and my husband said "um, I think you are making this too complicated". I tried to change the subject fast and figure out a way to get him out of the house so I could concentrate on my "complicated" project. Before he got out of the door he mentioned maybe placing a painting we had on another wall in place of the boring photo frame assortment I had previously. We tried it out, I liked it, I'm supposed to be the design idea person, ugh.

Old painting in new space - and a peek into the office with the new bookshelf placement

But, don't worry, I didn't forget those great frames I purchased and filled with pictures from our wedding and menus from anniversaries past. We placed them on the wall space where the painting above used to be. I wish I could tell you what room that painting was in, but I don't know what to call it, it's more an open space. This open space has been the topic of many discussions with friends about what should be put in it. Some suggestions: pool table, foosball table, shuffleboard, hot tub. Needless to say since we don't own a bachelor pad, the space has remained open. Until today! We pushed back our couch in our living area to inhabit both spaces. I love it! And hung up our frames...

I'm thinking of placing an assortment of white vases to jazz this buffet up a bit

Finally we marched upstairs to the master bedroom and did lots of furniture moving. (I'm laughing as I type this, mind of a 15 year old) It looks so much better now, and I'm wondering why we waited six years to make such a simple change. Will get pictures up as soon as I pick up the mess of laundry. I'm glad this has been such a productive weekend, and that I get to share my weekend of changes with my BFF next weekend when she comes to Texas (can't wait B)!

1 comment: